Buttermilk Pancakes with walnuts, orange and coconut
Serves: 10 pancakes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour (grind whole oats in blender until flour like consistency)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1 tablespoon or coconut flakes
- Combine buttermilk, the egg and melted butter in a bowl and using a fork or whisk, beat lightly until mixed.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, salt, baking powder, sugar, coconut and orange zest. No need to sift. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture in 2 batches. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add the 2 tablespoons of milk and stir.
- Heat a nonstick griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.